Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Coming Out Of The Closet
If you're a mother who says you dislike nursing your baby, you might as well just tell the world that you like to kick little puppies too. There's all sorts of pressure to breastfeed after giving birth. After Taylor was born and I survived my near death experience at Kaiser, I couldn't and didn't want to breast feed. But the nursing Nazi's at Kaiser still proceeded to push and push until breast pumps were thrown. No joke. But Corinne's been a whole other experience. I enjoy nursing and am completely thrilled about the benefits it will have for her. I'll do it as long as I can for her first year of life. However, I work two days a week. Thanks to a good friend, I have a pump I can bring to work with me. I went back to work three weeks ago, pump in hand, thinking that a world which emphasizes the rewards of breastfeeding would surely accommodate a working mother who'd still like to breast feed. WRONG-O. "You need a place to do what??" was the reply I got from the administrator at school, when I explained I'd need a little privacy twice a day to pump. Long story short, I'm pumping on the floor of a broom closet in the nurses office. I sit on the floor next to dirty buckets and brooms, praying the janitor won't accidentally come in, and I pump. So much for accommodations. Today I said, "Screw it!" and just pumped in the women's restroom for all to see as they came in to do their business. One teacher came in and was appalled that I had no chair or privacy and vowed to take this matter up with the principal. Lovely woman. But I doubt that our male principal will give a flying you-know-what. But I refuse to sit in that darn broom closet any longer. It's degrading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Yay for you woman! Be stubborn and stick your ground!
I love what you said about women not breast feeding! For very valid reasons, I havn't been able to breast feed Lauren or Evan, and everytime I would whip out a bottle full of formula for them, I would always get nasty looks. Some women even came up to me to give me a lecture on the importance of breast feeding! After two kids, I just think Screw them if they don't like it! I can totally picture you, breast pump in hand, crouching in a stand up fetal position. I hope you figure out a more comfortable way. Good luck!
First of all, cute new background. Secondly and more importantly, good on you for standing your ground. I think legally, they are required to provide you with a place to pump, if I remember correctly from my working days. I didn't breastfeed Declan and tried and failed with Greer, and here in hippie land that doesn't go down so well. Hang in!
remember at COC I was pumping in my car with a blanket over me. It sucked. I feel your pain and hopefully they find you a better place to pump soon. Good luck. Glad it is such a good experience for you.
I like what you said to.. I totally beleive everyone has a right to choose to breastfeed or not and for some it just doesn't work. I tried breastfeeding Kyle but between the two of us even lactation specialists said,"Good luck." They gave up on me. I however somehow had the patience and time and I didn't work to pump for his first 10 months of life but I still gave him formula as well. Nothing is wrong with formula. I have pumped everywhere too.. in a stall in the bathroom at airports, cars, anywhere ya can think. I hope you get a nice spot to pump.
OH! That totally stinks! I loved nursing, but hated doing it in public places. Pumping was no different. (Something about the whole Dairy Cow feeling...)
I hope you're able to find a good place & that the Cranky Lady at work was just having a bad day.
Its been a while since I checked your blog! Corrine is SO CUTE and I can't believe she is 10 weeks. You look great!! Your arms look totally toned in that museum picture. Glad the potty training is a success, I can only imagine those days for me. Although he does take his pants off now after he poops...
-Elizabeth
A broom closet? I don't think I could ever tell someone to go pump in a broom closet. Your the Harry Potter in the nursing world.
In regards to choosing to nurse or not I get crazy annoyed with those that judge. I want to shake them and say "Do you really know what is best for that person?"
I've heard that happen to people and I agree, that's awful! I can't believe the principal reacted the way he did and proceeded to provide a broom closet for you. crazy! (By the way, love the new blog look!)
Post a Comment