Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Resemblance To Bill Murray


It's difficult for me to watch Ghostbusters, What About Bob or Scrooged. Not because they aren't excellent movies because by my standards, they are. It's just that they bring up certain, self conscious feelings in me every time I see a close up of good ol' Bill Murray. Now hear me out, and in no way am I writing this so that I'll get a million comments saying, "You're so wrong, yada yada yada."......I look like him. Bill Murray, that is. We're not identical, of course, but his less than stellar, slightly pot marked skin is a dead ringer for mine. So when that movie camera gets a close up of him saying, "I'm on vacation!" I cry a little inside.

So I guess I started throwing this topic around in my head after over hearing a conversation at work. A bunch of troll math teachers (not all math teachers are trolls, but these happen to be) were discussing how ridiculous plastic surgery is. How only superficial idiots have anything done, and how it's a waste of time and money. I didn't disagree with the trolls right then and there, so I guess this post is my rebuttal. I used to agree with them to some extent but the older I get, the more I'm thinking, "Wow! I did NOT look like that before B-Feeding that baby. Holy smokes! Where did those crazy lines come from beside my eyes?" I'm not trying to chase Heidi Montag perfection (snicker) I'm just thinking I might look into taking care of something that bothers me, where as before I thought my inner beauty would just overshadow my outer imperfections. LOL.
So I'm doing a little research on laser surgery for my Bill Murray-esque scarring. I think I've been inspired lately by friends and family (you know who you are) who weren't happy with something about themselves, so they took steps to change it. And really, is that so bad? I think not. Not at all. We all deserve to look in the mirror and feel happy about what we see there. Wanting to feel confident about your appearance doesn't make you shallow, it makes you human.

So, there! Take that, math trolls!




7 comments:

redstarmama said...

First of all, math trolls? That's brilliant. I have thought that all my life without being able to put a perfect name on it.

Secondly, no, no, no, my dear. While you may share some scarring (which I have never noticed), that is where the commonalities end. Especially because you don't sound like Garfield when you talk. Also, as far as I can tell, you aren't balding in the slightest.

Third, I think if it's something that truly bothers you about yourself, makes you feel bad about yourself or affects the way you relate to the world around you, get it fixed. But let's not hold ourselves to standards set superficially and unrealistically to satisfy other people.

Wow, that was a long comment. I'm done now.

Jess said...

You're fabulous and beautiful, inside and out. Taking actions to improve something in your life that has held you back or made you feel like less than what you could be is empowering.

KickButtMommy said...

I am already saving my pennies for my nose, boobs, botox, and Lasix. Bring it!

KickButtMommy said...

p.s. I have never noticed your face being marked at all. I have always thought you are stunningly gorgeous!

Travis said...

Troll math teachers probably had braces as kids but don't see the irony.

Sara said...

I am personally counting down to the time I can have me some laser hair removal done. Gone embarrassing unwanted facial hair, begone!

And Nikki, I have always that you beautiful!

Eden said...

I just have to say that you are a NUT. Let that inner beauty shine... because, if you're anything like me, saving those pennies is going to take a LOOOOONG time!