Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mamasita. Donde esta, Santa Claus?


Oh, hi there. Thanks for visiting. I'm sorry I've been MIA the last few weeks. I'm sure the three people who follow my blog have been really disappointed to see that I haven't updated since November. My excuses are weak sauce and instead of boring you to tears with a family update, I'll throw some pictures in at the end of this post and call it good. To sum up, we bought a house and moved across town. (Peace out, pain in the ass Belgium neighbors who had live Armenian bands in their back yard.) We survived the stomach flu. And I put on a brave face during Christmas like I do every year and suffered through the yule tide merriment.

My kids asked for a lot of crap this Christmas. My 4 year old wanted an iphone, and my 7 year old wanted anything that had a flashlight built into it: pillowlites, dreamlites, flashlightlites, toasterlight. But I said no. I put on my big girl mommy panties and said no. Why? Because they were all bad ideas.

When I was 10, I had a bad idea. I wanted this-

This was about the same time that New Kids On The Block was popular. So while normal kids asked for an NKOTB sleeping bag for Christmas so they could make out with Donny Wahlberg and that really high pitched kid, Joey Somethingorother- I asked for this. I was a weird child and loved the Twilight Zone, and one episode in particular where this dummy came to life.

Like all prepubescent girls, I wanted to take the art of ventriloquism to the next level. I can remember trying to get my act together while sitting on the edge of my water bed. I tried desperately to keep my 10 year old mouth still and throw my voice into this freaky looking doll.

He didn't bother me at all until bed time, and then he scared the hell out of me. Just look at him. His eyes follow you wherever you go. He only spent a few days in my room until my mom had to throw this $75 doll in the garage so I could sleep at night. If I had to pin point one reason why the holidays are hard for me, this would be it. Emotional trauma from this well intended, but ultimately horrible, Christmas gift from my childhood. Thanks, mom and dad. I blame you.

Unrelated catch up pictures below:

Our Christmas card this year. About five seconds before I set the timer for this picture, lives were threatened. So don't let those smiles fool you. But the picture turned out pretty cute, regardless.

Taylor officially changed schools. Her last day at her previous school was a rough one. One of her BFFs was bawling as we left. I'm going to bend over backwards to make sure she keeps in contact with those kids we've grown to love.

Santa Clause came to preschool. The rule is that every parent bring a wrapped toy "from santa," for around $7. Without fail, certain parents bring presents for their kids that are OBVIOUSLY not $7, leaving the other poor kids with parents who followed the rules feeling like Santa hates them.







We always spend Christmas morning at Wes' grandparent's house. But sadly, they sold their house and this year was the last year we gathered as a family there.

 


Christmas eve is my favorite holiday, if you can even call it that. My Aunt Sue spent the day with us doing crafts and hanging out, while the boys in the family went to see "The Hobbit." Wes had a rough Christmas Eve. He chipped a tooth on popcorn at the movies, broke his toe carrying presents down the stairs, and had strep throat.
It was a fun Christmas with my little boys who enjoyed their nerf guns, bow and arrows, and race cars.


The race car she wanted.
Wes took the girls out separately to buy each other (and me) Christmas gifts. It was a great idea and I hope he does it every year.



cousins


Christmas Eve






Nana took us to see "Frozen" at the El Capitan Theater. The girls brought along their two friends and everyone had an absolute blast. We had breakfast with Ana, and Mickey Mouse shaped waffles. There was an ice sculpting show before the movie and it snowed in the theater. It was such a fun experience for the girls.






Taylor has begged and pleaded to try the whole acting thing. She actually auditioned for an agency and they offered to represent her, so we've got the head shots done and finally just got through all the red tape of work permits and registering on different casting sites. She asks me every day when she'll get to audition.  Hopefully something will come up soon.












Every once in a while we get out on a date. Thanks, Aunt Sue and Dad!
 


My brother in law proposed to his girlfriend, Tami, and the whole family was in on the action. She went on a scavenger hunt that I was able to photograph, and it was such a beautiful day despite the clouds. We love her to pieces!










My niece is just adorable. All the girls in the family have their picture taken in this little dress when they're 13 months old.


Our annual trip to see Christmas lights. This year we went with friends, which made it even better.

I didn't win the Quest For The Vest, but I still looked pretty foxy.


In November I danced at Patsy Swayze's memorial service. It was bitter sweet. It felt like a huge chapter of my life was officially over, even though I hadn't stepped foot in her studio in years. I got to say goodbye to a woman who made a huge impact on my life. I was also able to say thank you for the countless hours I spent in her pink studio, dancing on a scholarship and making friends that I still have today.

This is my dance family, minus Patsy. But it really did feel like her presence was everywhere that week.
Lunch with two of my favorite Hillside Hawks and their kidlets.
Some people know the way to my heart. Fran's pumpkin bread, and treats that I didn't share with anyone.


My beautiful ballerina got the stomach flu the day of her recital. This is a picture from her dress rehearsal. She looked so beautiful and did so well in her little number. It makes me so happy to see her enjoy dance.


Day of her recital. So, so, sad.
Writing her invite list for her birthday party.





Taylor's done with softball and on to basketball. Her team is horrible. It's almost embarrassing. But she seems to love it.
I need to bring my actual camera to gymnastics one day. She's fearless and it terrifies me.



My Christmas present from Taylor.


Grandpa doing his Elvis impersonation on Christmas morning.


I love dancing with this girl. Jen and I know how to make each other laugh under stress.
Softball ended and we were so very lucky to have had the best coach around. Taylor improved so much and we were very proud of her.


My Nutcracker Prince, Tony, gave me this picture at Patsy's memorial. I was Clara in "The Nutcracker," way back in 1994. This picture brought back so many memories of practicing until my toes bled.




Taylor won first place in the PTA Reflections Art Contest.
 
 
Here are some pictures I shot recently. I felt so flattered that people asked me to take their family pictures this year. I've learned so much by just getting in there and getting my hands dirty.




I shot the Milhoan and Evans cousins. That equated to 19 kids in two days. So much fun!

I shot this awesome couple last year, and they came out this year and brought along their dogs. Add pet photographer to my resume.





Sibling love.












2 comments:

Ellie said...

Our kids got bows and arrows this year too. They are destined to be friends someday...

RachelAA said...

Loved every single picture!