Lucy and I have so much in common. It's a little egocentric of me to identify with an icon like Lucy as much as I do, but I tend to be on the passionate, some would say irrational, side of the emotional spectrum. And I too get the hiccups when I cry. So there. We're totally twinsies.
I've been talking to the girls a lot lately about friendship and what it means to be a good friend, and how important friends are. Both girls have made some solid friends, and we've branched out into play dates and meeting parents in this new neighborhood we moved to a year ago. (Yes, it took us a year.) And for those friends and their wonderful parents, I'm so very grateful. We've also had a few situations at school where "so and so just decided they don't want to play with me anymore." Luckily, my girls have taken my advice and played with the kids who DO want to play with them, and didn't dwell on the hurt of being rejected. Hopefully this will always be the case, but I know it only gets harder as you get older to simply move on from people you invest in after they decide you're disposable. I'm sure I'll have to keep reiterating to them throughout their entire youth that what others think of them isn't as important as how they see themselves. Actually, I'll probably have to reiterate that to them their entire lives if they're anything like me.
Today a teacher I work with, Mr. Ippilitto, paid me such a huge compliment and built me up so much in front of a class of teenagers who actually agreed with him, that I had to blink back tears. Because for a few weeks I've felt a little like Lucy on that bench for one reason or another. I'm sure he had no idea just how much his words meant and how desperately I needed to hear them. I felt like he was the guy in I Love Lucy with the big drum, and his history class was the group of outcasts. I left work today feeling so much lighter than I have in a while.
And unrelated, Corinne is a hussy.
I know, I know. This is in no way related to the above story of friendship. But it's a story worth telling and I'm too lazy to blog about it in another post.
So I volunteer to go on Corinne's field trip to Underwood Farms. I get there and find girls were literally fighting to sit next to her on the bus. I have no idea where she gets her social skills and charm from, but it sure as hell isn't me. But I digress.
A mom walks up to me and says, "Hi, I'm Jamison's mom." I just sort of look at her, because I have no idea who her son is and haven't really heard Corinne talking about him. Then she says, "You know? Corinne's boyfriend, Jamison."
Uh, no. I had no idea my 6 year old had a boyfriend, thank you very much! Apparently he asked her to be his girlfriend a few weeks ago and they've been going strong ever since. I casually threw his name out on the way home to see how she reacted and she looked completely guilty. What in the world!!!??? If this is some sort of awful foreshadowing of things to come, we are in trouble!
(PS, do NOT mention this to Corinne, as she will turn beet red and blow her top!)
![]() |
| Add caption |
![]() |
| We picked a butt load of vegetables on her field trip. |
![]() |
| Opening day at Menchie's with her friends. |




















No comments:
Post a Comment