Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's A Good Thing

Martha Stewart has this segment called, "It's A Good Thing." Now I'm no Martha, but this little entry is my own list of good things. Blessings, things I'm excited about, and little treasures that make me smile.

#1-The Alice Dress


I love all things "Alice In Wonderland." It was the first legitimate book that I can remember reading and not wanting to put down. I love the Disney movie and was thrilled when Taylor became addicted to it as well. I even handed down to Tay a figurine of Alice that a dear friend of mine gave me. So when Tay announced she wanted an Alice dress from the Disney store, I was all for it. Unfortunately, the Disney corporation knows how little girls fixate on princesses and they price their dresses accordingly! We went to the mall last week and mistakenly walked past the Disney store. Of course the Alice dress was front in center and Taylor clinged on to it and jumped for joy. We had to pry the dress out of her fingers and drag her, kicking and crying from the store. We had some other expenses that took precedence over a princess dress. But yesterday we went back to that forsaken store and bought the Alice dress. Not only because she wanted it, but because it was the only way I could get the kid to poop. No joke. It was going on 6 days without a poop in sight. She was a mess. Cranky. Crying. Walking funny. Ugh! I literally had to bribe her with this dress so she would get the guts to sit on the potty, my poor constipated baby. Ugh. It's a beautiful dress though and at least her Halloween costume is covered.























#2 Preschool Co-Op-
Our set up at my house

Beading necklaces.
Do you have any idea how much preschool costs these days? It's robbery! I was having a hard time finding one we could afford and just wasn't ready to send her off into the big, bad world just yet. So my friends and I have started a little home preschool of our own. We switch off teaching lessons every week in our homes two days a week for 2 hours a day, and so far so good. This was our second week and it's been great. The girls loved it, and it was nice to know I was dropping Tay off with someone I know and trust. Our lessons have all been planned out for the year (thanks Michelle), and we're also planning on doing some field trips. Last week the lessons revolved around the letter A. They measured how tall they were with apples, painted ants, played apple hop scotch, tasted different types of apples, and just had a lot of fun. I feel so blessed to have the great friends I have in our ward. They are so talented and full of ideas. This week it will be at my house. I can't wait!
#3 Dating In The Dark
Oh, trust me. It's a good thing. This TV show is HILARIOUS! It's a true social experiment. If you haven't already had the pleasure, it's a reality show where 3 men and 3 women go on quasi dates in a dark room where they absolutely can't see a thing. After a few dates, they get to see each other in the light and decided if they still feel the same about that person after seeing what they look like and not just based on personality. I laugh my butt off every Tuesday night. You have to watch it to fully appreciate how great it is. My description of it just won't suffice.
#4 Tutu Tutorials
I want to buy a tutu for Tay. They're flipping expensive. So what do I do? Google it. I found a tutorial on how to make one at home. I bought the material. $10 later, I've started making a tutu. Long live the Internet.
Check back for pictures of the finished product.
#5 Diet Coke

So many of my friends are detoxing lately. Meaning they've decided to stop drinking caffeine. I'm sorry people. I understand that plumbers use it to unclog drains. I know it'll probably give me cancer and eat away at my insides. I simply don't care. I love the stuff. I drink at least 3 cans a day. I look at it this way. I don't do drugs. I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol. So I deserve a nice, cold, refreshing Diet Coke when I'm thirsty. It's a good thing. Takes the edge off.

#6- Corinne's Teeth
It's a good thing this kid is FINALLY growing teeth. 2 on the bottom. Actually,....wait up. I'm still nursing. Not sure if it's a good thing. I'll get back to you on that.
Notice the drool from teething.



She's extremely cute and wonderful! I could eat her up everyday. I just love her to pieces. She belly laughs and smiles at everyone. She throws tantrums when you take away her toys (cracks me up.) She crawls around looking for me if I leave the room and claps when she finds me. I just LOVE her.

#7 Ann Taylor Loft
Wesley, best husband and father on the planet, gave me a generous gift card to Ann Taylor Loft for my birthday. I shopped and shopped. Clothes are a good thing.
#8 The "Compooter"
Taylor has mastered the mouse on the computer for about 2 months now. We've found some awesome websites and PC games for her to play and learn on . They are her "good things." Unfortunately addictive personalities run in the family. She will sit all day and play on the computer if I let her (I don't). Here are some of the sites we like:

#9 "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, And It's All Small Stuff"
I borrowed this book from work and never brought it back. It was in our staff room and no one claimed it for over a month. Finders keepers. I read it and loved it. Wes read it and loved it. And now we own the book on CD. It's a book full of mini chapters on how to find inner peace and happiness. Wes and I refer to it often and have learned a lot from it. It's easy reading and listening and it was great for when Wes had to commute to Pico Rivera for training. It's worth a read if you want a little pick me up.
#10- Sally
Sally is the bath fairy. I can't recall exactly how Sally came about, but now whenever Taylor takes a bath Sally has to magically pop her head out of the doorway and fly around. It's how we bribe her to take a bath if she's being difficult about it.

Tay holding Sally with Daddy.


I just needed to remind myself how blessed I truly am. Thanks for reading and thanks for letting this blog be a good thing too. Your comments and love have been more helpful than you know.

4 comments:

Eden said...

Oh wow, the girls are getting so big! I've been needing to make a special posting spot on my blog for the Good Things. I get too caught up in the frustrations of having a 3 year old. Thanks for the inspiration.

elegyrl said...

Nikki you are inspiring to me! I wish you still lived next door so we could see each other more! I love reading your blog and seeing your girls grow up! They are so darn cute! Just like their mom and dad! Love and miss ya!

Ellie said...

Im feeling peer pressure to post a good things blog...yours is the second I've read in like 2 days. Whats with all you happy thankful people?! Your kids are cute, ready for round 3? haha
-Elizabeth

Mandy said...

Love the Alice dress!!! Preschool co-ops are the best. THE BEST! I'm so excited for you and Tay!!!