Friday, December 3, 2010

Santa's Visit Or Bah, Humbug Part 2

I follow the rules that society imposes on me. Always have and always will. If I come to a stop sign, even in the dead of night without another car around, I stop. If a mattress has a tag that says Do Not Remove, I leave it there. And when milk passes it's expiration date, I throw it out. I FOLLOW THE RULES! So when others feel above the law, it really irks me. Case in point, the parents at preschool. Dear old Santa came to visit the kids yesterday, and the parents were given explicit instruction to bring a toy that Santa could hand out, as if it were from him. This toy was to be UNDER $7.00!!! Mrs. Cindy repeated this three times, in three different letters home. So being the avid rule follower that I am, I bought a $7 doll. Nothing special. Just a rule abiding, $7 doll. But as the preschool children opened up their gifts, it was evident that not everyone has the same love of rules that I do. Taylor was pleased with her miniature Tangled doll, but I noticed that three other girls in her class were holding the larger, $18 version of this doll. And while some kids with rule abiding parents held an obviously $7 bath toy, other kids with parents who were too cool for the rules, held the latest $20 Transformer. Lame-O!

I'm lucky I have such a sweet daughter who was perfectly content with her special gift from Santa. Some other parents weren't so lucky, and had to console their jealous child when it didn't go unnoticed that Santa had obviously been a little more generous to some than others. Santa suddenly looked like the bad guy. You can't really expect the four year-old brain to accept this sort of injustice from Santa without a whimper or whine. I'm pretty sure some of those kids were wondering where they went wrong this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Santa at our local mall gets a few dirty looks from some of Miss Cindy's jaded four year-olds.


THANKSGIVING PROGRAM AND CHRISTMAS- PRIME TIME PRESCHOOL




3 comments:

Mandy said...

So cute, despite the fact that some parents obviously can't read well enough to decipher the teacher's letter. I am a rule follower, too. :)

TheKeilShpeel said...

So this is what I have to look forward to this Monday? We were given strict instruction too for it to be under $8.

Travis said...

Old men giving presents for your kids to sit on their lap is just creepy anyway. Tell her Santa isn't real and then it will be easier for her to understand that some parents are less mature than their pre-schoolers.

How's that for holiday cheer?