Saturday, May 18, 2013

"I'm sorry YOU didn't get a picture with Jesus!"

I really hate when people brag about how close their kids are. "Little Johnny and little Jimmy are just the best of friends at all times."

I call bullshit on those parents. Not to their face, of course, but behind their backs and on my blog. Because I'm a woman like that.

The fondest memories I have of my sister involve chasing each other around with butter knives, only stopping to call mom at work to let her know she'd probably be coming home to only one child. And Wes always speaks so fondly of one of his brothers pinning him against the wall, quickly discovering that his head went into a nail head sticking out of said wall.

Good times.

So I don't get too upset when the kids fight, because most of the time they get along pretty well. But they're also very competitive. So much so that even Jesus has become a pawn in their rivalry.
Way back in the day, Taylor was given a picture in primary of her and Jesus. Photoshopped, obviously.

Exhibit A.
Sort of creepy, if you ask me. I personally thought it would have been hilarious to have added a mini Satan, hidden within the picture somewhere. Like those 3d pictures you have to stare at until something just pops out at you.

She has always loved this picture so it's displayed proudly in her room.
The following conversation occurred recently.

Corinne: Hey, Tay! That's you and Jesus!

Tay: (Smug, like she hangs with celebrities.) Yea, I know. That's when me and Jesus were together and took a picture. Do YOU have a picture of Jesus?

Corinne:...I don't think so.

Tay: Ahhhh, that's too bad that YOU didn't have your picture taken with Jesus too. But I sure love mine.

Corinne: Waaaaaaa! Why didn't Jesus take a picture with me?!! *cue meltdown*

I normally don't wait for tears to step into an argument. While I probably should have intervened immediately and let them both know that the picture was a fake, the tone of the whole conversation was so funny that I couldn't help myself. Sometimes it's more fun to watch them argue than to prevent it.

Parenting 101, my friends.

I offered to photoshop a picture of Corinne with Dora the Explorer, and that did the trick. Apparently they are of equal importance to a 4 year old.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

My kids never argue...not over where the toy should be placed, which TV show to watch, or which game to play. They don't even argue about pretend non-existing things like "JJ you are NOT a lion." "Yes I am." "No you are NOT!" They are simply best friends, who cherish every minute together.

Shan said...

Thats too bad you call bullshittiness on that!! I grew up quite the opposite!It always was so strange for me to see siblings not get along. Brian and I are two years apart, grew up very close and I honestly can say that I can count on one hand the times we have fought. With Josh and Nick its the same way...best buds and they have always been able to work out their shit before it got to a fight. Its the norm to me!!