It's been a crazy week. I wrote an article for KSL one night, in about ten minutes while watching "Uncle Buck," after browsing Pinterest for summer bucket list ideas.
Here it is,
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30068845&nid=1009
I turned it in and it was published within the hour. I was up with that bastard, Insomnia, so I checked on the comments into the night. The first few were brutal. In a nutshell I was called a lazy mom, and I just figured this would be another article where I was bashed for being honest. But I woke up the next morning and there were a slew of incredibly kind comments backing me up. What was even better than that, was how many readers actually took the time to EMAIL me to let me know they appreciated the article. Women and men, moms and dads, wrote to me about the pressure they've felt from social networks, and some just wanted to thank me for the laugh. A few of the emails were way more personal than I anticipated, and some of them were just a virtual high five. Some said they've read my articles in the past and like my style. Seriously! I was sort of blown away. I made sure to respond to each of them to let them know I appreciated what they had to say, and for taking the time to actually read the article and respond. It was probably the best overall experience I've had in the last 3 years of writing for KSL.
I'm at 96,464 hits and over 17,000 shares. I had to check again today when curiosity got the better of me, but it seriously make me nauseous when I think about it. I bust my hump on the "5 questions you've always wanted answered" column, getting expert answers and making sure it's legit, and I've never even gotten close to that amount of hits. So it's been a good week. I've had a little spring in my step, and was reminded how much I actually enjoy writing.
1 comment:
You have such a distinct and relatable voice. Love it. You deserved all that praise and I hope you remember it when you get that crap criticism from boneheads.
Post a Comment