Monday, August 4, 2008

One year older and wiser too....






One year older and wiser too, happy birthday to you!

I'm in the last year of my twenties! My twenties have been good to me though, so I'm sad to see them dwindle away. I got married, completed a degree and started a career, had a beautiful daughter, became a stay-at-home mom, bought our 2nd house, and am cooking up another little bundle as we speak. It's been a busy and wonderful time of life. I have a few more crow's feet than I would have hoped for, but am pretty happy with how things have gone for me the last 9 years, and 29 will be the best yet.



I'm not a wife who needs to worry about her husband ever forgetting birthdays or holidays. In fact, Wes always goes above and beyond which is what he did yesterday. He woke up at an ungodly hour with Taylor so that I could attempt to sleep some more, and he even cleaned the house from top to bottom so it was sparkling by the time my family arrived for dinner. He got me every season of "The Office" on dvd and Guitar Hero III. He knows me pretty well. On our way to church I told him how sad I was that I wasn't going to get a birthday spotlight in Primary. After all, nobody had called and asked me all of the typical spotlight questions. He looked at me like I was being ridiculous, but to my surprise I WAS spotlighted in primary, and all the kids sang Happy Birthday to me. Turns out they had called Wes, and he filled them in on my favorite color, food, etc., and said some very touching things about me. I didn't grow up in the church, so this was a big deal for me! I almost cried. Pathetic, I know.



It was SO nice having most of my family over for dinner. Stuffing our faces and shooting the breeze with them is probably one of my favorite things to do. Wes set up a fun sprinkler system outside for Tay and my nephew Logan, but I took a run through it too after church. Taylor and Logan seem to finally have some love between them, and Tay's decided not to scream bloody murder whenever he's around. Thank goodness! I was spoiled rotten in the gift area too. Next year I'm writing "No Gifts!" on the invitation, but this year they were so thoughtful that I felt like a little kid on Christmas. I love looking around my house and seeing so many faces that I love. It was a good day, and I went to bed with a smile on my face, feeling so blessed. I love my family!


It was also my Uncle Mike's birthday too.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! Glad you had a great day and were spotlighted in primary!

KickButtMommy said...

Happy Birthday Nikki!

TheKeilShpeel said...

Happy Birthday! Oh.. I'm glad someone else's kid gets up with the sun comes up.. oiw! I'm with ya sista.

Kimberly said...

Well it sounds like you had a great Birthday, glad it was a fun day for you, you are lucky, I can never get Trevor to help me with the housework let alone do it all himself, like Wes. I would fall over dead if that ever happened.

I have a friend that is due in Oct. and she has this great link on her blog that you can guess the due date, gender, weight etc. and everyone gets to place a bet on the details, it looks like fun. http://www.expectnet.com/index.php
Just in case you are interested. I hope you are feeling good.

Ashley said...

That is sweet. My birthday is coming up, so now I know what to ask for. A primary calling... maybe not. No, but really. Cleaning the house and just having your husband say sweet things makes for a good day.

Melissa said...

Do you remember when you thought 30 was old? Now look at us, we are knocking at its door. But hey, you look like one hot mama! Happy Birthday!