Thursday, June 6, 2013

Taylor's time to shine

Taylor has been begging me for a good year now to "be on tv." And since I'm not really a savvy stage mom, I decided we just sign up for a good ol' acting class and call it good. I assumed this would completely bore her when she found out it actually requires work in memorizing your lines, and being on stage would scare her into realizing that the whole show biz thing wasn't for her. But instead the experience backfired on me and Taylor is even more adamant now that she's destined to be on the Disney channel.

The six week course she took was actually pretty fun, according to her. Of course it was. Her teacher was...wait for it....Cindy Brady (Susan Olsen). The youngest pig-tailed Brady from the show I watched reruns of every day as a kid. Very nice lady, too. They put on a little showcase at the end of the session and Taylor was supposed to get one scene with her partner. We had practiced and worked on getting her lines memorized. She sounded adorable when she'd practice in her room. My only fear was that she'd get nervous in front of a crowd.

The night of the showcase, I had to go to the bathroom. A lot. Multiple times. I was so nervous for her, I couldn't stand it. It was a packed house and I didn't just have butterflies in my stomach, I had a chinchilla running around in there. I have no idea how my parents sat through all of the plays and musicals I was in. They must have been just as much a wreck as I was. But Taylor was cool as a cucumber. She looked so calm and collected. We walked in and she ran up to me and said, "Mom, someone called in sick so I'll be doing my scene, and a new scene with someone else that I've never read before." My jaw hit the ground. "You're ok with that?" She practically rolled her eyes. "Yea, why not?"  And that was that.

She was great in both scenes. And that's not just mom talking. She was actually really good. She just had a cute presence, and she read her lines as if she was just in her room reading books like we do before bed time with inflection and emotiion. A few casting agents were in the audience and did a little Q&A after. One casting agent said, "there are some kids who just have a natural ability and your eye just goes to them when they are on stage or in front of a camera. Some kids stuck out to me tonight, like...Taylor Pollard." It was pretty cool, to be honest with you. There were probably 25 kids and Tay got singled out. So I guess it wasn't just me that thought she had a little spark. Not sure where to go now with it though. It was past 9:00 pm on a school night so we booked it out of there before the whole thing was over.

I was just so proud of her. Not because someone noticed her, but because she has some major guts taking on a scene she'd never read before to cover for someone else, without blinking an eye. She can take on anything, and I hope she grows to realize that about herself.

My video was horrible. I'm not much of a videographer and it takes over an hour to upload. I'll try to get them on this week.

But here are some pictures. I'm always good for those. We've been really busy.
We placed flags on the graves of veterans on Memorial Day with our Girl Scout troop...and about 500 other troops. But the girls enjoyed it and we learned that Memorial Day is more than BBQs.



We wanted to take a picture for my mom with the grandkids for her birthday. This turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself.



She means business



I have the cutest nephew. Love my bubby.



I was a beached whale. She was my baby orca.


My fishies






No comments: