Monday, October 18, 2010

Taylor's "Nightmare Before Christmas" Birthday Party!

Up until Taylor's birthday this year, we've always had simple parties with mainly family. But for her 4th birthday we couldn't avoid having a full blown party with friends, a bouncy house, more candy than the parents were probably happy with (sorry), and costumes. Way back in July, Taylor requested that this year's party would have a "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme to it and every friend that she had would be invited. It turns out that she has quite a few friends who all showed up dressed in their adorable Halloween costumes. Even Jack Skellington made an appearance, to Corinne's dismay. Taylor was dressed as Sally after I found a teenage size costume and had a friend size it down. She was elated! Of course it's impossible to find "Nightmare Before Christmas" decorations, so we brought out every Halloween decoration we had, used some butcher paper to draw our own (luckily it required little artistic ability), had a picture of Jack scanned on to a cake, and called it good. Taylor had so much fun running around with her cousin, Logan, and all her friends. She loved her presents, but tossed aside the clothes that she opened up like a true kid (But I really appreciate them, so THANK YOU to those who purchased clothes).
There was no talking her into having a normal princess party this year. In true Taylor fashion, she wanted something different. It's one of the things I love most about her. She's an original. She walks around the house whistling songs, singing Steve Martin's "King Tut" and Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies". She has a curiosity that makes me smile too. Always asking me what certain words mean and how a reflection works. And she's a passionate little girl. There's no in between with her. She either loves something or despises it. She's also grown into a wonderful big sister (even though she wacked Corinne on the head today). Last year we started to assume that she'd never really be a very social person. We assumed that she was taking after me, sadly. =) She always seemed so shy and reserved in public. But she's blossomed into a social butterfly and is always the first to go up to kids at preschool to invite them to play. It makes me SO proud. She's very sensitive and loving. I've even seen her defend her friends who were being picked on. Just last week she asked if we could stay later after preschool because her friend's mom hadn't shown up yet, and he was upset about being the last child left for the day. I hope I always remember that at 4 years old she has a heart of gold. Taylor loves crafts, music, playing pretend, the computer, helping Daddy bake cookies, having "Mommy/Taylor Time", playing with friends, reading, visiting with family and riding her scooter. We're so lucky to have Ms. Tay and we've been so blessed to watch her grow. Thanks to everyone who came. We know everyone's busy so we really appreciate those who took the time to celebrate with us. I don't have a lot of pictures from the party (I was a bit busy), but here are the few that I have. Thanks again for making it a wonderful day.
The party invitation that I made. I thought it turned out pretty cute.
Daddy, dressed as Jack. What a trooper, huh? Not a fan of Daddy's costume.
The newlyweds were Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.
Enjoying the cotton candy machine. So good!

5 comments:

Ellie said...

I need to see her in her costume!! I bet its awesome. Jason is IronMan this year. He has been wearing his costume all month.

Sara said...

That party looks so fun! Cotton candy and a bounce house... sign me up! Wish we lived closer. I have no doubt Katie and Tay would be friends.

Jess said...

How awesome. Taylor's a lucky little girl...and a reflection of you. You're an AMAZING mommy.

Travis said...

Holy wow. First off, the site layout rocks. B - Taylor is pretty lucky to have parents this passionate about her childhood. Your coolness is an inspiration.

Melinda said...

So fun!! My Sonora has LOVED "Jack and Sally" since she was 3 too